Save to My account Previous record Next record



ID Number


Item Name



Canadian Steel Corporation Storm Drain Construction / La construction du collecteur d'eaux pluviales de la société canadienne d'acier Canadian Steel

Title (Fre)

La construction du collecteur d'eaux pluviales de la société canadienne d'acier Canadian Steel




Black and white photograph of the construction of the storm drain for the Canadian Steel Corporation's proposed town of Ojibway; the wooden hull of the drain is visible set into a trench and running vertically through the centre of the photograph; pieces of steel reinforcements are positioned in the foreground section of the drain; a small wooden plank bridge spans the trench in the foreground of the photograph; a crane is visible in the background of the photo on the left side and a railway car is visible on a set of tracks on the right; building materials are strewn throughout the site and a construction worker is walking on the right bank; bare trees are visible in the background; hand printed in the bottom left corner is: "Canadian Steel Corporation Ltd. Townsite Construction General View Looking SW from 11th and D Streets showing tile storage yards. 4-23-18".


The Canadian Steel Corporation, a subsidiary of the United States Steel Company, purchased an 1800 acre site around 1917 and an elaborate town was planned to house workers at the plant. Roads were built and fire hydrants installed before the town itself was started and a four-lane divided highway separated the plant site from the town and connected it to Windsor, four kilometres away. The recession of the 1920s led the company to reassess the Canadian plant. Some mills were erected but the residential areas were never started. The depression of the 1930s finally killed the project, although the buildings which had been erected were used for war work in the 1940s. The town, which had been incorporated in 1913, remained a municipality although its population never exceded 100. It was annexed by Windsor in 1966, by which time natural regeneration had created a forest on the town site. Part of the site is now Windsor's nature park and the land planned for the Carnegie steel plant was developed for industry and is now known as the Morton Industrial Park. The residential area is now used by a harness racing complex, a new subdivision and the nature park.

Place made

Canada - Ontario - Ojibway

Collection Name

Museum Windsor


14th St. / Rue 14e

Building materials / Matériaux de construction

Canadian Steel Corporation Ltd. / Société canadienne de l'acier Canadian Steel ltd.

City planning / Planification urbaine

D St. / Rue D

Hoisting machinery / Grues

Ojibway (Ont.)

Progress photographs / Photographies Progress

Railroad cars / Wagons

Railroad tracks / Voie ferrée

Sewerage / Réseau d'égouts

Trees / Arbres

Noticed a mistake?

Please let us know if you spotted something incorrect or may have more information on this object.