P7228

Save to My account Previous record Next record

he%20excavation%20for%20the%20main%20storm%20drain%20in%20the%20Canadian%20Steel%20Corporation%27s%20proposed%20town%20of%20Ojibway

Details

ID Number

P7228

Item Name

Image

Title

Canadian Steel Corporation Main Storm Drain / Les collecteurs d'eaux pluviales principaux de la société canadienne d'acier Canadian Steel

Title (Fre)

Les collecteurs d'eaux pluviales principaux de la société canadienne d'acier Canadian Steel

Date

1917/07/09

Description

Black and white photograph of the excavation for the main storm drain in the Canadian Steel Corporation's proposed town of Ojibway; the wooden hull for the drain is visible running diagonally from the bottom left corner of the photograph, up through the centre; a steep dirt bank is on the right side of drain and a smaller bank is on the on the left; at the top of the left bank there is a set of railroad tracks; a crane with "Canadian Steel Corporation Ltd. OHIO" painted on the side sits stationary on the tracks; several men are standing on the crane and drain hull; trees are visible in the background; hand printed in the bottom left corner is: "Looking South from 6th St. 7-9-17 Showing excavation for main storm drain."

History

The Canadian Steel Corporation, a subsidiary of the United States Steel Company, purchased an 1800 acre site around 1917 and an elaborate town was planned to house workers at the plant. Roads were built and fire hydrants installed before the town itself was started and a four-lane divided highway separated the plant site from the town and connected it to Windsor, four kilometres away. The recession of the 1920s led the company to reassess the Canadian plant. Some mills were erected but the residential areas were never started. The depression of the 1930s finally killed the project, although the buildings which had been erected were used for war work in the 1940s. The town, which had been incorporated in 1913, remained a municipality although its population never exceded 100. It was annexed by Windsor in 1966, by which time natural regeneration had created a forest on the town site. Part of the site is now Windsor's nature park and the land planned for the Carnegie steel plant was developed for industry and is now known as the Morton Industrial Park. The residential area is now used by a harness racing complex, a new subdivision and the nature park.

Place made

Canada - Ontario - Ojibway

Collection Name

Museum Windsor

Subjects

6th St. / rue 6e

Canadian Steel Corporation Ltd. / Société canadienne de l'acier Canadian Steel ltd.

City planning / Planification urbaine

Construction workers / Travailleur de construction

Excavation

Hoisting machinery / Grues

Men / Hommes

Ojibway (Ont.)

Progress photographs / Photographies Progress

Railroad tracks / Voie ferrée

Sewerage / Réseau d'égouts

Noticed a mistake?

Please let us know if you spotted something incorrect or may have more information on this object.