Save to My account Previous record Next record



ID Number


Item Name



Canadian Steel Corporation Storm Drain / Le collecteur d'eaux pluviales de la société canadienne d'acier Canadian Steel

Title (Fre)

Le collecteur d'eaux pluviales de la société canadienne d'acier Canadian Steel




Black and white photograph of a steam shovel digging out a storm drain for the proposed town of Ojibway; a deep trench runs diagonally from the bottom left corner of the photograph up through the centre; a steam shovel is stationary in the trench; a high bank is on the left and the shovel is poised over this bank; two men are standing in the water at the foot of the shovel and one man is standing in the control hut; steam is billowing from the smokestack and "Type B Erie Shovel built by Ball Engine Co., Erie, PA" is painted on the side; a grassy field is visible on the right bank and a surveyor is in the distance; a set of railroad tracks is visible behind the shovel; hand printed in the bottom left corner is: "Looking North from 6th St. Showing Showing Shovel & Storm Drain Cut Dec. 4, 1916".


The Canadian Steel Corporation, a subsidiary of the United States Steel Company, purchased an 1800 acre site around 1917 and an elaborate town was planned to house workers at the plant. Roads were built and fire hydrants installed before the town itself was started and a four-lane divided highway separated the plant site from the town and connected it to Windsor, four kilometres away. The recession of the 1920s led the company to reassess the Canadian plant. Some mills were erected but the residential areas were never started. The depression of the 1930s finally killed the project, although the buildings which had been erected were used for war work in the 1940s. The town, which had been incorporated in 1913, remained a municipality although its population never exceded 100. It was annexed by Windsor in 1966, by which time natural regeneration had created a forest on the town site. Part of the site is now Windsor's nature park and the land planned for the Carnegie steel plant was developed for industry and is now known as the Morton Industrial Park. The residential area is now used by a harness racing complex, a new subdivision and the nature park.

Place made

Canada - Ontario - Ojibway

Collection Name

Museum Windsor


6th St. / rue 6e

Ball Engine Co.

Canadian Steel Corporation Ltd. / Société canadienne de l'acier Canadian Steel ltd.

City planning / Planification urbaine

Construction workers / Travailleur de construction

Machinery / Machinerie

Meadows / Prairie

Men / Hommes

Ojibway (Ont.)

Progress photographs / Photographies Progress

Railroad tracks / Voie ferrée

Sewerage / Réseau d'égouts

Steam shovels / Pelles à vapeur

Surveying / Arpentage

Noticed a mistake?

Please let us know if you spotted something incorrect or may have more information on this object.